Millions of people suffer from back pain, and for many of them, traditional treatments like medication and surgery don’t provide relief. In recent years, however, medical marijuana has been shown to be an effective treatment for back pain. This article will explore the evidence that supports the use of medical marijuana for back pain and discuss the potential risks and benefits of using it for that purpose.
Read on to learn more.
What is Medical Marijuana?
Medical marijuana is cannabis that is used as a physician-recommended herbal therapy. It’s most commonly used as an antiemetic, appetite stimulant, analgesic, or for spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis.
Medical marijuana has been shown to be an effective treatment for reducing pain and muscle stiffness. THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, binds to receptors in the brain that reduce inflammation. This can relieve pain and improve mobility.
Additionally, marijuana has been shown to increase appetite and help with weight gain, which can be beneficial for people suffering from chronic pain.
Can Medical Marijuana Treat Back Pain?
Medical marijuana has been shown to be effective for treating chronic pain, including back pain. A study published in the journal “JAMA Internal Medicine” looked at data from over 2,000 patients who used medical marijuana to treat chronic pain. The study found that medical marijuana was effective in reducing pain and improving function.
There are a number of different ways to use medical marijuana for back pain. The most common is to smoke it, but it can also be vaporized, taken as an edible, or used in a topical form.
Potential Side Effects
The potential side effects of using medical marijuana for back pain relief include dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, and impaired coordination. Some people may also experience an increase in appetite. You should talk to your doctor about any potential side effects before trying to use cannabis for back pain.
How to Use Medical Marijuana for Back Relief
If you decide to use medical marijuana to treat your back pain, then we suggest adhering to the following steps:
1. Decide if Medical Marijuana is the Right Treatment for You — There are many different treatments for back pain, and medical marijuana may not be the best option for everyone. If you’re not sure if it’s the right choice for you, speak to your doctor.
2. Find a Reputable Dispensary — When looking for a dispensary, make sure to do your research and find one that is reputable. The staff at the dispensary should be knowledgeable about the products they offer and be able to answer any questions you have.
3. Choose the Right Product — There are many different types of medical marijuana products available, so you’ll need to choose the one that’s right for you. If you’re looking for relief from back pain, you may want to try a product that contains THC.
4. Read the Instructions Carefully — It’s important to read the instructions carefully before using any medical marijuana product. This will help ensure that you use the product correctly and get the most benefit from it.
5. Start with a Low Dose — When using medical marijuana for back pain, it’s important to start with a low dose and increase it gradually as needed. This will help you avoid any unwanted side effects.
If you’re considering using medical marijuana for back pain, talk to your doctor to see if it’s the right treatment for you. They can help you find a reputable dispensary and choose the right product for your needs.
John DiBella is a medical marijuana advocate, owner of The Sanctuary Wellness Institute, and a writer. When he’s not writing blogs about medical marijuana, he enjoys hiking, camping and sailing.